Isn’t it funny how things like birthdays and new years, heck even new months can make you think both about the past and the future? I celebrated my 30th year of life this month, and looking back on my 20’s I have SO MANY thoughts, so I figured I’d share them with you all! Below are 30 things I learned in my 20’s about business and life!
A Peek Into Life In My 20’s
It’s amazing how much we grow and learn over the years. I’m so different than the person I was in my early twenties, and yet not all that different. I’m still driven and fearlessly confident in myself and my abilities and yet somehow I’m more relaxed, less stressed, less worried. In my twenties, I put myself through college while working full time, I’ve gotten married, built a home, struggled with infertility and walked through hard seasons of loss. But I’ve also grown.
Even in the hard seasons, I found so much value, so much thankfulness in God. It’s sometimes hard to see when you’re in the thick of it, but no rainstorm lasts forever. And coming out on the other side I have a peacefulness, a trust, a strengthened marriage, and a relationship with God that is better than ever. I am blessed with two sweet boys. That experience gave me the courage to design the life I want. I realized we aren’t in control of many things, but things like my happiness and how I spend my days are 100% up to me.
I started The Virtual Assistant Studio that now employs seven other amazing women and is growing each month. Each day, I get to work alongside clients that are kind and smart and inspiring. I get to show up as the mom and the wife that I want to be. And while I still have a lot of big dreams, I’m pretty happy with where I am today!
30 Things I Learned In My 20’s About Business and Life
- You are in control of your own happiness.
- Hard seasons are just that, seasons.
- You’re going to feel the same whether you’re a 00 or a size 6, so work on that inner dialogue.
- Being a parent is the greatest gift, cherish it every day.
- 99% of people won’t understand your job (I feel chandler bing’s pain), but it’s okay they’re still cheering you on!
- Trust your gut, it’s mostly always right.
- You can do hard things.
- Everything is figure-outable. (If you haven’t read that book by Marie Forleo, I highly recommend!)
- A skincare routine actually does make a difference, thank you Beautycounter!
- It’s okay to take time for yourself.
- Check your thoughts, they’re rarely often facts.
- Learning has been the key to my success.
- Retail management will give you so many more skills than you ever imagined, I’m thankful for every minute of it.
- Start everyday with gratitude (and coffee).
- You get out of things what you put into them.
- Be willing to fail, and still try again.
- Leading with kindness leads to kindness.
- You won’t always have a plan, it’s okay.
- Take the time to learn about money, debt, investing, budgets, 401ks, IRAs, all of it. This isn’t something we are taught. Most women are too afraid to take openly about money or finances, which is silly. Money is a tool. Let’s think about it that way, let’s talk about it.
- Choose your mentors wisely. You are a collection of who you surround yourself with.
- Take a break, you deserve rest too.
- Life is precious, text someone you love when you’re thinking about them. Make amends with a broken relationship, it’s not worth it.
- Give the grace you’d like to receive.
- Cut your hair, it’ll grow back.
- Be kind to strangers, you never know how much someone might just need a smile to turn their day around.
- Be the person you want your kids to grow up to be, because they will.
- Most things are hard simply because they are new, and all new things become old.
- Be confident, even when you’re not.
- Take time to HAVE FUN- dance, laugh be goofy, stop caring what others think, go get ice cream on a whim, say yes to dinner with friends, book the trip. If not now, when??
- Listen into the podcast for my 30th thing I learned. 🙂
I hope you all enjoyed this list and little peek into life in my 20’s. I’m very excited about what my 30s has in store and what this new decade will bring!
If you have something you’ve learned in your 20’s let me know in the comments below!